Fitzroy High School is over capacity. We are administering a waiting list for applications into the school for students currently in Years 7 to 12 at other schools.
Occasionally, places become available in the school because students move away. In addition, due to the structure of the VCE timetable, there are sometimes places available at Years 11 and 12 at the end of each year.
The school enrols students into the school in accordance with the Department of Education (DET) Placement Policy.
In line with the Department of Education and Training (DET), North-Western Region, criteria, Fitzroy High School will offer places in the following priority order:
- Students for whom Fitzroy High School is the designated neighbourhood government school (closest school to permanent residence, as determined by Fitzroy High School’s zone).
- Students with a sibling at the same permanent residence who are currently attending Fitzroy High School.
- Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds, where it is not provided by the student’s nearest government school.
Families applying under priority criteria 1: Students for whom the school is the designated (closest) neighbourhood government school as determined by the findmyschool.vic.gov.au website.
All families applying under this item in the priority order will be asked to demonstrate permanent residency in the neighbourhood area.
Find your local schoolDepartment of Education and Training – School Zones
Use findmyschool.vic.gov.au to search for your local government school. This is the official and most up to date school zones map.
Please also note the following:
- It is the responsibility of the family to provide satisfactory evidence to the school.
- An enrolling student is expected to live with his/her parents. Staying with a relative or friend does not qualify as permanent residence unless supported by relevant legal documentation.
- Permanent residence does not mean ownership of a business in the area, or that a family have a financial interest in a property in the area unless it is the property that they live in.
- As enrolment places are highly sought after, the requirement of permanent residency in the neighbourhood area is actively monitored.
- Providing false or misleading information to the school will result in an Application for Enrolment being set aside.
- Caution: Third party and commercial providers may make claims to be in the Fitzroy High School neighbourhood area, including automated real estate sites. These may not be accurate and families are advised to check with the school before purchasing or renting a property. If you are unsure as to the status of your residence, please contact the school for confirmation.
The Department of Education has determined that where space is available and all local students and siblings have been accommodated, students from outside the neighbourhood area may be enrolled at Fitzroy High School, based on curriculum need.
We anticipate there will be a limited number of these places available, as we do not have the space to accept all applications.
International and Interstate Applications
The School has been receiving applications on behalf of students not yet living in Australia. Only applications for students currently living in Australia are considered. Similarly, the School has been receiving applications on behalf of students who intend to move from interstate or other zones, we can only consider applications from those with a permanent Melbourne address within the City of Yarra.