All government schools in Victoria have school councils.They are legally formed bodies that are given powers to set the key directions of a school. In the performance of their role, school councils are able to directly influence the quality of education that the school provides for its students. Within guidelines provided by the Department of Education and Training, a school council has responsibilities for developing such things as:
- the school strategic plan which sets out the main goals and priorities of the school for three years
- the annual implementation plan which puts into practice the strategic plan
- the school’s budget which shares out the available resources to make sure that the goals/targets of the strategic plan are carried out
- the general educational policy of the school
- the physical appearance and maintenance of the school’s buildings and grounds
- the student code of conduct which provides a safe and orderly environment for learning
- an annual report on the school’s achievements.
Fitzroy High School Council meets eight times a year. Meetings dates are published on the school’s calendar and are open to all parents, staff and students to attend. The agenda, minutes and papers for each meeting are published under School Documentation in Compass. If you want to attend a School Council meeting, have a matter to raise or want to find out more about the work of the School Council, please contact the President or school office.
Membership of School Council
The Fitzroy High School Council is made up of elected and appointed members in four categories:
- parents and carers (8 members)
- principal, assistant principal, teachers and school staff (6 members)
- students (2 members)
- community members (up to 2 members)
Elections are held annually to fill vacancies for parent, student and teacher members. Parents and students are appointed for two year terms. Teachers are appointed for one year terms. Community members are appointed by School Council. The Principal and Assistant Principals are permanent members of School Council.
The current Fitzroy High School Council members and office bearers are:
- Ralph Saubern (President) – Parent
- David Huxtable (Vice-President) – Parent
- Sharon Cleaves (Treasurer) – Parent
- Moira Finucane – Parent
- Venetia Bombas – Parent
- Mim Ingvarson – Parent
- Kath Bracket – Parent
- Clare Kermond – Parent
- Linda Mitchell – Principal
- Andrea Thompson – Assistant Principal
- Christopher Millard – Assistant Principal
- Anna Pilkington – Teacher
- Roger Smith – Community member
- Sholto M – Student
- Mungo S – Student
School Council Subcommittees
Fitzroy High School Council has established four subcommittees to assist with the work of School Council and provide further opportunities for parents, teachers, students and community members to contribute to the school. Subcommittees meet regularly throughout the year. Meeting dates are published on the school’s calendar. Other than Finance, subcommittee meetings are open to all parents, staff and students to attend. If you want to attend a subcommittee meeting or find out more about the work of the subcommittee, please contact the subcommittee convenor.
Buildings and Environments
Convenor: Roger Smith
- Assists School Council and school leadership with the strategic direction of programs in relation to the school’s grounds and buildings to ensure they are in line with the philosophy, principles, expected outcomes, directions, policies and actions of the school.
- Supports the Education for Sustainability (EfS) programs of the school;
- Provides advice to School Council and school leadership in relation to the school’s Building Fund.
Convenor: Clare Kermond
- Assists the School Council to develop a thriving, connected school community and increase the active participation of students, parents/carers, staff and other local community members in a range of activities that improve the school.
- Oversees and supports school fundraising events
- Provides advice to School Council and school leadership in relation to the school’s Health and Wellbeing Fund and Performance Fund.
Convenor: Mim Ingvarson
- Assists the School Council and school leadership to ensure that education programs, policies and initiatives are in line with the school’s strategic direction, vision, values and philosophy.
- Provides advice to School Council on proposed school camps and excursions
- Provides advice to School Council and school leadership in relation to the school’s Library Fund.
Convenor: Sharon Cleaves
- Oversight of the school’s finances and budgets.
- Provides advice to School Council and school leadership in relation to the school’s Scholarships Fund.