The school values the contribution of all students. It recognises that individual achievement should be recognised and rewarded.
- The school will recognise students in Years 7-12 who show significant contribution or improvement in the following areas: Academic studies
- Sporting events
- Leadership and community involvement.
- Generally such recognition will be given at scheduled school assemblies throughout the year.
- Successful completion of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) and Vocational Education and Training (VET) by Year 12 students will be recognised at a Valedictory function at the end of the academic year. Students will be awarded a commemorative gift.
- At the Valedictory function, students of Year 12 are presented with awards for subject excellence and overall achievement.
- Australian Defence Force Leadership and Teamwork Awards. These awards recognise students who demonstrate leadership and teamwork within the school and broader community. Candidates for these awards are forward by the school and awarded by the Australian Defence Force.
- All awards will be based on achievement data and teacher judgement.
A range of scholarships administered by the school, are available for award to students in Years 7-12.
- The FHS Scholarship is to provide financial assistance to students in order that they may access extra curricula activities. This assistance is available to students in years 7-12 and is awarded by the school.
- The Molly McCallum Scholarship provides financial assistance for two years to a student entering Year 11. The purpose is to assist the student complete their secondary education and access tertiary studies and is awarded by the school.
- The Robert Spurway Scholarship is awarded to a student entering Year 9. The scholarship is for four years with a possible extension to five years and is awarded by the school.
- John Cummins Memorial Scholarships acknowledges students in Years 7-11 who display determination, commitment and passion to pursue their talent. Candidates for this scholarship are forwarded by the school and are awarded by the John Cummins Memorial Trust.
- Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program is an academic enrichment program designed to assist high achieving students Years 10-12 in realising their full potential. Candidates for this program are forwarded by the school and are awarded by the University of Melbourne.
All scholarships are subject to specific criteria as outlined in the document ‘Fitzroy High School Scholarships 2011’.
This policy will reviewed by school council regularly.
School Council approved: 18 August 2011
Review date: December 2012