Principal’s Report November 2021

Dear students, staff, parents, guardians and carers

So much has happened this year and I have written to you a great deal, often with words written by the Department of Education, and more often than not, about Covid. So I want to keep this report short. Instead, I urge you to read the many posts and delight in the photos that have been shared in this edition of the newsletter and on the school website. They speak for themselves.

Firstly, I want to say that feeling proud of the year 12s at their recent Valedictory Dinner; enjoying tonight’s Arts Party; and meeting with parents in person rather than online; I have really realised how much I have missed the in-person gathering and community connection. A casualty of Covid, it is something that we have sorely missed in the past two years, a quality that is the lifeblood of any school, but especially our school. The feeling that we get when we can see each other smile, laugh, and sometimes cry, cannot be replaced by emails and online chats, especially with a mask on!

So, with that, I want to thank you for the support you have given us as a school, each other and, most importantly, the people we are here for, the students. I also want to thank all of the staff, the Leadership Team and the School Council.

Several people have moved onto other ventures during 2021 and I have acknowledged most of them already, however I need to acknowledge a few more. Bronywn Lewis, Ella Ampongan, Marie Attlee, Emily Kennan and Liz Floreani have all taken up other positions either in other ventures or some interstate. I thank them for their contributions to Fitzroy High School over the past few years. Doosie Morris, Noam Bardea, Jitske Wiersma, Rebecca McAllan and Chiara Constanzo are all taking leave for 2022 and I wish them well. Tegan McCarthy, Caitlin Berry and Oliver Packard have filled in for people this year and I thank them for their contributions to the school.

Last but not least, we farewell Peter Bennet, who is retiring after more than 35 years in the profession and more than 15 years at Fitzroy High School. He has been our timetable extraordinaire, a leading teacher and more recently a learning specialist, and we will miss his skills and talents very much. Most of all we will miss his ever-present grace, humour and wisdom.

I will have lots of news and announcements at the beginning of Term 1 2022.

In the meantime, have a safe and happy break.

Kind regards

Linda Mitchell, Principal