Book Week – Write a Book in a Day Competition

The ‘Write a Book in a Day’ competition is a fundraiser for the Kids’ Cancer Project. The aim of the project was to write a short story or picture book in 12 hours, in order to raise money to contribute to childhood cancer research. All of the completed stories around Australia are included in the Online Library, which is shared with hospitals around the country for families and children undergoing treatment to read. 

Each group that participates is given a set of parameters. Our group wrote a story about two girls, a cartoonist, Lydia, and a banker, Adira, who are unexpectedly locked in an amusement park overnight, but surprisingly become friends. The pair encounter what at first seems to be harmless accidents but as the night continues it turns out that there is something much more sinister at play.

It is an adventure and mystery book, but also has a touch of romance. 

It was an amazing experience and we got to work with people we had never worked with or met before. It was really nice to have everyone come together and work on this one project, with all of our efforts put into this book. It’s a really rewarding and interesting process and I would do it again if I had the chance. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in participating next time.

I wanted to participate because I have had a close relative of mine pass away from cancer. Ever since then, I have wanted to help people with cancer as much as I can, and this was the perfect opportunity to do just that. 

As someone who has had people in my life battle with cancer, this is a really important cause to me. I wanted to do this to be able to contribute something to this cause that I believe in and support so much, and this was the perfect opportunity for me to go about it.

If you would like to support this cause by sponsoring our efforts, please use this link: https://writeabookinaday.com/school-groups/?id=7440 

Jasmine McCallum
On behalf of the team: 
Saskia, Amelia, Riley and Maddy