Top Class: Theatre Studies Filming Invitation

Last year, I completed the VCE subject Theatre Studies, achieving a high score in my final monologue examination. Students were required to perform an interpretation from an assortment of prescribed monologues, as either an Actor/Director or Designer. I selected the character of Elizabeth Appleyard from Tom Wright’s adaptation of Picnic At Hanging Rock, set in the early 1900s. I created an abstract representation of the world of the play and theme of nature through my ‘clocklike’ arranged set design.

In late January, I was invited to audition for Top Class Season of Excellence 2020. This is an opportunity for twenty five outstanding students across Victoria to showcase their monologue to future Theatre Studies students, teachers and the general public. Early February, myself and Tallulah Thornton – Lawrence were officially chosen to perform in the show, although the performance itself was cancelled because of Covid-19.

Subsequently, Drama Victoria has chosen myself and six other performers to be filmed as an educational resource for schools across Victoria.

I am extremely grateful for these opportunities and has proved to me that hard work really does pay off.

Matilda Komene, Year 12