Italian at Fitzroy High School

Ciao! My name is Tallulah and I’m studying Italian in Year 11 this year through the Victorian School of Languages (VSL). This term, Fitzroy High School has welcomed Chiara, an Italian Language Assistant from Siena. She has been a magnificent help for both me and other students across Years 7 to 9. Chiara has been a great support for me so far in my study sessions; every fortnight, we speak for an hour in Italian and this gives me the opportunity to revise pronunciation, grammar and learn new vocabulary with a local speaker.

Having an assistant has given me the opportunity to grow my confidence in general conversation, because I feel comfortable making mistakes and answering questions.

I chose to continue Italian after Year 9 because I have always loved learning about the language and culture, and Chiara’s insights and capabilities have been extremely valuable in encouraging my learning in my senior years.

– Tallulah Thornton Lawrence, Year 11

It has been exciting having Chiara visit us in class and help with activities. It gives us a first hand experience of pronunciation and a lot more insight into the language itself! We’ve currently been learning about the differences and similarities between the north and south (nord e sud) of Italy: climate, regional cuisine, people, and so on. It’s been very enjoyable to study this topic and having Chiara there has made it all the better! Non vedo l’ora – I can’t wait.

– Milo Strangio, 9V Italian