Future Makers – Bogong Camp

On the 23rd of April 2019, we set off on the trip to the camp, which was roughly 5 hours away in Bogong Village (north of Mount Beauty). When we arrived, we divided into two smaller groups and went on a tour around the camp. Group 1 met Rich and Cal, who were our group leaders, while Group 2 met JP and Tamsyn and then got settled in. The next few days were spent doing normal camp activities and preparing for the five day hike that was fast approaching.

On ANZAC Day, we woke up bright and early to go to the dawn service in Falls Creek. Later that day, we began packing for the hike and the nerves started to kick in.

Before we knew it, we were leaving for the hike. During the hike, the Group 1 leaders were Zoe and Cal, and Erin (teacher from Fitzroy High) came along with us. Group 2 was led by Jamie and Tamsyn on the hike. The bus ride was one of the most exciting and nerve wracking experiences of the camp. It was pouring down with rain and we were not looking forward to walking in the freezing cold, wet weather.

Group 1 walked roughly 6 km to Edmundsons Hut. The feeling when we finally reached our destination was amazing. We spent our night by the open fire and occasionally dashing inside the hut. Falling asleep was freezing but we were all happy to finally have a rest after a long, challenging day.

The next day we left to go to our second destination, this was our last night with a hut and drop toilet. It wasn’t nearly as cold but the walk was still very challenging either way. We spent our night inside the hut and having fun with old and new friends. The night was much warmer but still very cold. We packed up and departed our campsite in the morning and set off to the “Helipad”.

The third day was very challenging but one of the highlights of the whole hike. We had to all cross a river, take off our packs, and use teamwork to get them across. We finally reached the Helipad and the view was nothing less than amazing. We set up our tents and spent the rest of the night spending time together, heading off to bed as we had an early start the next morning.

Day four was definitely the most challenging and rewarding day of them all. We departed for our hike that day at 7:00 am, luckily without our heavy packs. We reached the summit of Mount Bogong by 11:30am and were lucky enough to see Group 2 while there. Safe to say we were exhausted by the end.

Our final day was our longest day but not the most difficult. Seeing the bus at the end of our journey was one of the most rewarding parts. For the last few days, we did some more camp activities and made the most of our time left.